Buying Wheelchair-Accessible Vehicles Online Made Easy
Wheelchair accessible cars are specifically-modified from a standard vehicle to allow easy access for wheelchairs. These make a huge difference for handicapped drivers and passengers, enabling them to travel in their wheelchairs or transfer from their wheelchair into an ordinary car seat.
Like any major purchase, buying wheelchair accessible cars requires informed decision, as well as a huge amount of money since it can really be hard on the pocket. However, owning one comes with numerous advantages such as:
- Mobility Independence: Wheelchair-accessible vehicles (WAV) offer greater mobility for both wheelchair users and their caretakers. Whether you are going to the supermarket or going for a medical check-up, a WAV can take you wherever you need to be – even if you are using a manual or a powered wheelchair.
- Pain Inhibition: WAVs usually don’t necessitate you to transfer from your wheelchair into a car seat – preventing unwarranted pressure on your shoulders if you are doing the transfer by yourself, as well as lessening back pains of caregivers who do the lifting and transferring.
- Time-Saver: Transferring a wheelchair user into a car through a ramp or a lift system not only saves time and effort, but also a whole lot easier compared when trying to get both the user and the wheelchair into a car separately.
- Control and Autonomy: In case you can drive, a wheelchair car enables you to get where you want to be and accomplish activities without needing too much assistance. And because you have the opportunity to be taken anywhere more conveniently and comfortably, you’re helping your caregiver in return by making his/her job simpler and easier.
- Secure Transportation: While a majority of disabled people don’t give much importance on a transportation’s safety and comfort, wheelchair users make it a serious matter. Wheelchair accessible cars provide safe, reliable, and convenient transportation for wheelchair users who desire greater autonomy.
- Fun and Comfort: Getting in and out of a non-accessible car can be risky for both the wheelchair user and his/her caretaker. However, cars with wheelchair access can be the safest and most comfortable way to get handicaps on the road for errands, consultations, and enjoyable times anywhere. Moreover, wheelchair users have the option of driving or take pleasure of being a passenger.
- Financial Support: While wheelchair accessible vehicles are by far expensive than regular vehicles, there are services available from the government or various non-profit sectors for those with certain disabilities. But if you find this to be difficult, there are several dealers that can provide financial assistance or offer rentals for a much lesser price.
Motability is a national charity responsible for the Motability Car Scheme, which offers a contract hire for a fully-converted specialist vehicle. It allows a disabled person to lease a new WAV by swapping his/her government-funded mobility allowance. For more information about this, you can visit Brotherwood and know whether Motability suits your needs or not.
On a brighter note, if you are seeking for an alternative to purchase a new disability vehicle – Brotherwood offers a wide selection of used wheelchair cars for sale. They also provide WAV rentals that are affordable, has flexible leasing periods, and available for short or long-term hire. Check out their official website to know additional details.